Problem: My City, State and County won't update when I enter in a zip code.
When entering information into a new or existing record, the city and state do not automatically complete when I enter in a zip code. This usually happens for more than one address.
This may be because your city and state table needs to be updated. This will especially apply when an area may have had new development and therefore new address information that was not included in your previous update to the table.
First, you will need to run a Live Update on your database.
- You will go to Help > Products Updates
- If your Zip & County table needs to be updated, you will see it selected in your list of items to update.
- Click Update. This may take awhile to run.
- If this is not selected, you may move to the next set of directions.
Once this is complete, you will need to update the System
- First you will need to have a selection active in order to activate the correct menu. To do this simply go to Records > Name Search. Find a record, open it and then close the record.
- Next, click on Reports > System.
- A System Reports box will appear. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Zip & County Table Update
- Click the Run button.
- You will get a dialog box that asks if you wish to Load new City, State, Zip and Congressional file into Default Database (Master)? Click Yes.
- An Open box will appear and you will need to select the file zip_cnty.DBF
- You will get another dialog box that asks if you wish to Load new City, State, Zip and Congressional file? Click Yes.
- Now the System Reports box will appear again and it will appear as if nothing is happening. However, the file is being updated (you will notice you can move the System Reports box during this time). If your data is locally hosted (standalone), this process will take around 3 minutes. If your data is not locally hosted (hosted), this will take around 30 minutes.
- When the process is complete, you will receive a dialog box asking if you wish to Update Addresses in Database? It is very important you click No. If you click yes, you will be asked to manually accept every update to every address in your database. If you wish to update all your addresses in your database, check out the help file on that here.
Now your city, state and county information should auto-complete when adding in a zipcode.